north cowichan
Home   >   Blog   >   North Cowichan Forest Reserve Logging History

North Cowichan Forest Reserve Logging History

The North Cowichan Forest Reserve consists of six major land holdings: Mount Prevost, Mount Sicker, Mt. Tzouhalem, Stony Hill, Mount Richards, and Maple Mountain. This working forest is managed for multiple uses, including harvesting of forest crops for revenues and recreation.

The Municipality established its Community Forest in 1946. These lands remained un-managed until the 1960s when holdings were divided into ten woodlots. These woodlots were harvested by local operators by "diameter limit cutting," which permitted the logging of trees greater than a set diameter.

A diameter limit cut is defined as the harvest of all trees over a specific diameter, typically 14 or 16 inches. By cutting the larger, more valuable trees, this type of cut leads to high-grading, which in a nutshell, takes the best and leaves the rest.

This management of the Forest Reserve continued until 1981, when the Municipality established a Forestry Department overseen by the Forestry Advisory Committee (FAC). The FAC continues to operate today. Current logging practices are now clearcutting (4 to 10 hectare patches) with green tree retention, and all harvested areas are planted. In 2019, the Municipality cleared blowdown from a winter storm using a combination of selective and clearcut logging.

tags:
Clearcutting
education
logging

Stay Connected

       

Subscribe  eNewsletter

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

^