Why do visitors come to the North Cowichan Region?
They come to:
- hike the nature trails
- bike on the mountain trails
- motorcycle or drive on our scenic roads
- motor or sail into our marinas
- visit our wineries and craft breweries
- shop at our farmer's markets
- kayak on our oceans and rivers
- visit our local attractions like the Raptor Centre
- get married at our nature retreats
They come to North Cowichan because it is a beautiful place to visit.
We need to keep this in mind as we consider a new logging plan.
Is it possible to continue the logging operations without hurting our tourism?
We need to consider other methods of harvesting that will have less visual impact than patch clear-cutting.
Clear-cutting may be more profitable in the short term - but it will be at the expense of our lucrative, growing tourism sector.
This article is designed to pose questions and spark debate, not to provide answers. This article is based on online research, talking with experts and visual observation. Please use the online form below if you believe there is more to this story than we are aware of.